29 October 2009

Oktoberfest

I was awoken by my good buddy MJ at 0230 Saturday morning at Jose's house. I drug myself upstairs and went immediately back to sleep in the back of his car. When I woke up we were still looking for a parking spot in Munich. None of the parking garages were open which I thought was strange. We finally found a spot and followed the hoards of lederhosens to Oktoberfest.
Hoose
Hoose

The tents didn't open until around 0900 so we waited in line for the Hofbrauhaus tent. We really lucked out and got a great table on the second floor balcony overlooking the whole tent. Joe and his buddy Tom met us soon after we arrived. They started serving beers at 1000 so we started drinking em'.
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

People are always hootin' and hollerin' or singing songs and raising their glasses.


We got kicked out after a few hours because the balcony was "reserved" and headed to the Augustiner tent to meet up with John. Waiting in line there we met up with DG, Logan, Brent, Lauren, and Katie. I ended up getting into the tent because I was holding our spot in line when to doors swung open. I was able to find John and his buddies and had fun with them.
Hoose
Hoose

Jerome somehow came across a hat and everyone was wearing it which Joe didn't seem to care for.
Hoose

There was a guy with a whistle that had us cracking up.


I got lost trying to meet up with Mike and Jose back at the Hauptbanhof but eventually found them and slept the whole ride back to Schweinfurt. The next Saturday we had round two except Mike and I took the train this time. The train was full of drunk Germans at 0600 in the morning. As soon as we got off the train in Munich I decided one thing that was missing the weekend before was that I needed lederhausen so I found the most jorts-like lederhausen and headed back to Oktoberfest. We went back to the Augustiner tent and met up with Jose, Joe, Rion, Jason, and his girlfriend.
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

As always, so many pretzels. Here Rion has his hands full.
Hoose

I may have gained a few pounds over the two Saturdays of Oktoberfest.
Hoose

Mike trying to tighten me up a little bit.
Hoose

John and I got on a few rides. Oktoberfest is like a giant carnival but the main attraction is the beer.
Hoose

In front of the Paulaner tent.
Hoose

Where all the drunk people (not me) pass out.
Hoose

After we left everyone Mike and I started walking back to the Hauptbanhof and came across a playground and returned to our days as 8 year olds. We must have played there for an hour and it was hilarious. Oktoberfest was a lot of fun and my favorite part of German culture so far. I lost my clothes that I went down there in but got a lederhausen in return. I can't wait until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment