10 January 2010

Budapest

I dropped off Gunner with the Digiovannis Tuesday night in order to get ready for Budapest. We only worked half days during the holidays so we were hoping to catch the train at 1256 out of Schweinfurt. Like every trip, we missed a train. In this case it was the first one. So we hopped in the Taco and headed down to Wurzburg to catch the ICE train. We barely made it but got to ride it all the way to Vienna without switching trains. Once in Vienna, we grabbed something to eat. Since I was with Mike and Jerome (Asians) we of course went to Mr. Lee's to get some chicken fried rice.
Hoose

It was about a ten hour train ride to Budapest so we got there at around 2330. We stayed in a hostel on the Pest side and went to a neighborhood bar for a few beers before getting hitting the sack. There were some Hungarians sharing tables with us that were very nice but crazy. The great hospitality of the Hungarians was a constant theme throughout the trip. The next day was mellow as we got our bearings on the city and prepared for New Years that night. Some pictures of the Széchenyi Chain Bridge and the Royal Palace. No one lives in the Royal Palace and the Hungarian President actually lives in a humble building next to it that doesn't even have armed guards or anything. It too is white.
Hoose
Hoose

Our last meal of 2009 was TGIFriday's which was a suitable substitute because Budapest does not have a Hard Rock Cafe for some reason (Poland has two, I mean come on!) I think Mike has drank more hot chocolates than I've drank beers in Europe. Here he is enjoying another in European fashion.
Hoose

We went out with two Swiss-French girls, an Asian Aussie, New Zealander, and some German guys. They couldn't figure out where they wanted to go but we finally ended up at a place called Corvintető. New Year's was pretty crazy as there were people all over the streets and fireworks going off on every corner.
Hoose

The next morning (somehow) Mike and I went on a walking tour of the city. I had never done one before but I knew so little of Budapest I thought we'd give it a shot. Here is a lock tree, one of many things Hungarians claim to have invented (others are molotov cocktails and the saddle).
Hoose

It wouldn't be a European city without a famous church (St. Stephens Basilica)
Hoose

A young fat American with a statue of an old fat Hungarian policeman.
Hoose

More of the Chain Bridge...
Hoose

A view of Pest from the Buda side of the Danube.
Hoose
Hoose

The Hungarians are known for their horsemanship (is that a word?)...well they are good at riding horses.
Hoose

An example of Communist architecture...perverts
Hoose

Young Hungarians touch the genitals of the horse on this statue which is supposed to bring fertility. Luckily it didn't work on me because I don't need any baby mama drama.
Hoose

The Matthias Church which had a neat roof on it.
Hoose
Hoose

The Fisherman's Bastian
Hoose
Hoose

Sweet amphibious tour bus motoring up the Danube
Hoose

Hungarian Parliament
Hoose

This might have been the first time I have taken a subway under a river, or any large body of water. It was also the longest escalator ride I have ever taken.
Hoose

Christmas tree made up of plastic bottles and scotch tape.
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

Heroes Square
Hoose

There is a reason I was the only person in Budapest wearing shorts in below freezing temperatures...
Hoose
Hoose

Vajdahunyad Castle
Hoose

The Great Synagogue
Hoose

A neat thing behind the Synagogue
Hoose

I talked the guys into going to a Hungarian indoor waterpark because they had one thing there that I have wanted to do for a long time. It turned out to be much larger and much more fun than I had anticipated. Mike can't really swim so Jerome and I had to have double the fun.
Hoose

Riding around a giant toilet bowl (I think they call it an onion)


Surfing, well at least I was at this moment...Mike seems to have preferred bodysurfing
Hoose

Jerome and Mike shredding


This was a lot like the river surfing in Munich I did with Brian


Then we headed over to the Széchenyi Thermal Baths which are outdoor and around 38 degrees Celcius all year round. It was snowing on us in what might be one of the largest hot tubes (although this one is naturally heated) in Europe. Budapest has these thermal baths all over the city. Many of the baths in Budapest are Turkish style, meaning men and women are separated and people are usually nude. We chose this bath not only because of it's popularity, but also because of it's co-ed usage.
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

Budapest was great but the best parts about it were how nice everyone was and how cheap their currency is. I still have 80,000 Hungarian Forint (US$420) that I can't get ride of. We tried to spend up the Forint but couldn't make it rain hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment