We made it to Kiev and met up with Brittany, the Peace Corps volunteer. We stayed in an apartment in central Kiev, much like we did in Amsterdam. I took the pull out couch so Brittany could have her own room (what a gentleman, I know). Even with the full day of travel we still went out that night to a club down the street. They didn't allow pictures inside which is a shame because there were some hotties there that were all over us...one part of that sentence is false. We were able to take one picture...that's how we found out that pictures weren't allowed.
That was a pretty long night, especially since Brittany ordered us bottles of tequila and vodka. She had made reservations for us at the clubs we went to so we got liquor by the bottle instead of by the glass. The next "morning" we had some pizza which was actually better pizza than most places in Europe (especially Germany). Then we stopped by a grocery store for supplies which I didn't need, but Joe certainly found something.
Then it was time to check out some of the sites in downtown Kiev. We were within walking distance from everything and our apartment was a block over from Maidan Nezalezhnosti (Independence Square) which is the center of the city.
Here is our guide Brittany demonstrating the Ukrainian way to say "Hello"
A statue that depicts the distance and direction to not only each provincial capital within Ukraine, but also the national capitals across the world. One of these is supposed to say D.C. but I forgot which one it is.
Sweet Ukrainian whip...talk about up-armored.
We then toured St. Sophia Cathedral and climbed the bell tower at its gate. Many of the churches in Kiev have the gold crowned roofs.
The St. Sophia belltower
There was a lot of ice climbing up that made it fun/sketchy
Creepy name for one of those binocular stations
View from atop the belltower
From St. Sophia's belltower, you can also see St. Michael's
While visiting St. Michael's Cathedral they were having a service. While they were Christian, the priests calling out prayers reminded me of when were were in the mosque in Cairo. He would chant out something and everyone would do the Catholic father, son, holy spirit triangle thing. I wish they allowed pictures inside because it was easily the most elaborate interior (mostly gold) I have seen in a church. The outside still looks nice.
On the way back to the apartment, I grabbed a belt since I had broke the 5 euro one I bought in Munich last summer. The exchange rate in Ukraine is around 8 grivna (pronounced grieven) for $1 so I figured now was a good time. The shops were in small units built into the walls with tiny windows. The lady had me come "inside" to try it on and pay for the belt. Unfortunately the belt would have a short life...
Ukrainian folk music
We were supposed to go to a four-story club that had different music/scenes on every floor. Unfortunately the bouncer wouldn't let us in and it wasn't because we were five guys and one girl. Brittany thinks it has to do with the diversity in our group (2 Asians and a black guy) as she told us that the Ukrainians can be very racist. We ended up heading to an Irish bar she frequents while we figured out what to do next. It ended up being awesome as a band with a female singer was performing there.
Jose giving Brittany a creepy massage
When the band finished their set, Brittany had figured out where she wanted to go. It was a club on a boat...I think. It was on a river and there was a gangplank to get into the club so I can't be sure. Anyways, another VIP night meant cans of Red Bull and bottles of Vodka.
I don't know if I have danced in my entire life as much I danced that night (I think it was all of the Red Bulls). It was the usual crazy kind with rolls and slides over the podiums the girls danced on, lots of jumping and skipping, etc. I think I went up and danced with every girl in the club at some point, but it usually only lasted 3 seconds before I spun around and ran to the next girl. Joe says some girls were actually getting into it but I kept moving around so much that I never gave them a legitimate chance to dance with me. The belt I had just bought ended up breaking from all my dance moves not even 12 hours after I had bought it. Joe had to cool me down after one of my performances.
Well I walked out with a bunch of Red Bulls and Joe had his bottle of vodka so we hopped in a taxi and headed home. The next day I had to leave everyone early so I asked if we could go to the Museum of the Great Patriotic War. That is what the Ukrainians call World War II. It took us almost 45 minutes to get there because our taxi driver didn't know where it was at (which I find hard to believe). It was Sunday morning so the museum was closed but all I really wanted to see was the Kliopennaya mat' monument that sat atop the museum. I think of it as the communist version of the Statue of Liberty.
The fellas with the monument to Kiev
Hippie-painted tanks crossing barrels. Oddly enough, they are only painted on one side.
A bunch of Ukrainian Soldiers. If you look closely, one of the guys in the back of the charge is pointing his pistol at his Soldiers in front of him. It was not uncommon in the Soviet Army of WWII for officers to shoot deserters and is often depicted in Stalingrad movies and literature.
A tiny tank which I thought was pretty amusing.
The last day I spent in Kiev I decided to use only English with a Ukrainian/Russian accent. I'm pretty sure our taxi drivers knew what I was doing because they were laughing at me. I appreciate them being good sports about it because it was so much fun to imitate. Brittany on the other hand did not appreciate my new accent as I fooled her a few times into speaking to me in Russian. I drug my feet into the taxi and sped off to the airport that afternoon. Although it was cold and snowy most of the trip, Ukraine was still enjoyable. The people were generally nice although you got an unwanted feeling from a few. Luckily we had Brittany to take care of us idiots and keep us out of trouble for free (Thank You).
No comments:
Post a Comment