Sorry for the length but it we had a pretty busy agenda...
I know this blog is supposed to be about adventures in Europe/Africa/Asia/etc. but I had such a great time at home I felt obligated to write about it. The Battalion gave us block leave right before we were set to deploy to Kuwait. Emily and I booked the same flight to Charlotte where Dad would pick us up. The stewardess overheard me ask the guy to switch seats with my girlfriend so we could sit together and got us some seats together after a little shuffling (the guy didn't want to move from an isle seat on row 7 to one on row 34). Even though I had lost my window seat I couldn't have been happier to be sitting next to Emily. With no layovers we made it to Charlotte in about 10 hours where Dad was ready for us. As we drove back to Mooresville, Mama G was just getting off work and was at the grocery store picking up beer where Emily and I walked in to surprise her. I walked right past Mama G and she recognized Emily first. I can't believe a mother cannot recognize her own son.
We took it easy that first night because the next morning we had to drive five hours to Washington, NC to pick up our yacht for the weekend (I hate using that word, but it was a nice boat). We booked a charter through Carolina Winds on a Saga 409 named In Concert which Brian picked because it was the fastest boat in the fleet. It also happened to be the newest as it was commissioned only a few months ago in May. Brian and I were obviously behind the idea as none of the others were sailing folk. So Mama G, Dad, Emily, myself, Brian and his girlfriend Jenny all spent the night on the boat and woke up at first light to make the sail to Ocracoke Island down the Pamlico River and across the Pamlico Sound. It had been raining on the Outer Banks all week and many areas were flooded. In fact, the night before, the stupid Governor (whoever he is) declared a "state of emergency" because the flooding had gotten so bad. We were trying to drive to Wal-Mart but many of the roads were impassable and I had to get out and wade through the water to test the depth before we drove through it. Anyways, so this Governor guy declares a "state of emergency" and you know what? You can't buy alcohol when there's a stat of emergency. Can you believe that? We were in dire straits but Brian and Jenny dropped her car off in Bath picked up some booze for us from a gas station who apparently hadn't heard or didn't care.
Brian takes the helm as we leave Washington at dawn
The weather did not look like it was going to improve...
Em and I enjoying the beautiful weather (I didn't care...it was blowing 15-20 knots)
Brian and Jenny (sorry about water spot)
Interior of In Concert
Dad at the helm (he does know how to sail...he even raced our old Puffer which was a little bit smaller--see stock photo below)
We passed a lot of ferries, well actually they passed us
We covered about 70 miles in roughly 10 hours (on the same tack) which is actually pretty good for a sailboat. We were soggy all day long and the girls got a little sea sick but everyone kept their spirits up as we pulled into Silver Lake on Ocracoke Island.
Day 1 route
View day 1 in a larger map
We docked at the Anchorage Inn and Marina and walked down to DAJIO (which stands for Doug and Judy in Ocracoke) to have dinner. That night Emily got us all to play spoons which got pretty heated and she ended up winning.
Like I said, it got a little serious
The next morning was beautiful and we weren't pressed for time as we had all day to reach the next port of Bellhaven. We decided to take a walk around the lake to the lighthouse.
Funny sign at one of the few general stores on the island. I'm sure it's an abbreviation like LKN but I don't know what for.
Brian, Jenny, Me, Emily
I loved Silver Lake which to me was more of a harbor or bay (since it was saltwater) but who cares.
Water tower and Marina
The boys on the transom of In Concert
Jellyfish in Silver Lake (again, it's saltwater, not sure why it's called a lake)
Sometime around noon we set sail back across the Pamlico Sound for Bellhaven under perfect weather conditions
View from the helm
Since it was the one and only nice day, we took advantage and took lots of pictures sailing
Jenny and Brian (without waterspot)
Emily joining me at the helm
Emily and I on the foredeck
Emily and Jenny talking about how awesome their boyfriends are while staring at a Merman on the pulpit
Brian at the helm, me navigating
What sailing looks like
High fives all around
With the nice weather, everyone spent more time up on the deck and in the cockpit with Brian and I. Jenny got into it and wanted to take the helm for awhile while Brian supervised.
It wasn't long before she gained her confidence and sent Brian to take a nap and she sailed us up the Pungo River and even threw in a few tacks.
Day 2 route
View day 2 in a larger map
We made it to Bellhaven right at sunset and had some trouble with the furlers on the main and jib and had to do some donuts just inside the jetty. After we got that taken care of I radioed the River Forest Manor Marina dock master via VHF and tried to secure an end slip because backing up a 41' sailboat isn't so easy. Luckily I knew that particular dialect of North Carolina English and deciphered where he wanted me to go. It was a frustrating 15 minutes as I tried to back it into this little slip but finally I parked it where I wanted to and the girls showered while Mama G and I whipped out the cameras.
Bellhaven is a small town like many of the ones along the (ICW) Inter-Coastal Waterway. We actually came here about 15-20 years ago on our boat from Virginia Beach. The flooding was still bad so all the restaurants were closing around 2000hrs and the dock master called one of the only restaurants in town and made sure they stayed open for us. The marina has a six-person golf cart for people to use to get around town and he hurried us off to eat. It was a nice little restaurant and most of us got a cluster of crabs which were delicious. The neat thing about the marina we stayed at is there is an old mansion there with all kinds of antique stuff inside. The owner was more than happy to show us around after dinner (wish we'd have taken pictures). The next morning was going to be another early one for Brian and I so we all called it a night.
The next morning the bad weather had returned and we left again at dawn. It was a while before anyone else got up, but I'm sure they would have earlier had the weather been better. Brian and I tried to fix the problems we were having with the jib and mainsails and got them good enough so we could sail. We were trying to make it to Bath in order to have lunch and drop off Jenny so she could make it back to school in Richmond to study for her mid term on Monday. Bath is the oldest town in the colony of North Carolina and hasn't grown much since then. We ate at a little pizzeria and said bye to Jenny.
You might have to right click on the picture and select "View Image" to read this sign...
We sailed about halfway back to Washington before having to motor in as we began heading dead into the wind (sailboats can't do that)
Brian bringing us passed the train bridge
I told you there was a lot of rain...
In Concert back at her home port
Day 3 route
View day 3 in a larger map
From there Brian headed back to New Bern and the parental units, Emily and I headed to Angier, NC where Emily's grandparents live. Emily and I spent two nights with her family and had a great time catching up. I especially enjoyed the food and talking to her grandfather who is a retired Army Colonel. Emily and I also made a short trip to Fort Bragg because as long as I've lived in NC I had never been there and might like to be stationed there someday.
Tuesday morning we hopped in Emily's car and drove home. We just relaxed at the house for the rest of the day. Wednesday morning we all went to the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte. Emily wasn't too keen on the idea of whitewater rafting because she thought it would be too cold and complained that it was fake anyways...I think she was just skeered. So we did just about everything else.
Rock Climbing
This neat vertical zip line (the best way I can describe it) that the staff said they used in Hollywood
Ropes course and mini zip line (the big one was closed)
Mountain Biking...no pictures, but it was Emily's first time on single track. She did great on the green trail but got a little bit overwhelmed on the blue which I talked her into against her will. She threw a little temper tantrum (a little funny) and pushed her bike the rest of the way. I didn't fall the entire time until we were right next to the bike shack and I went over the handlebars in a small woodline. One of the staff pointed out that I had hit a steel rod that was sticking out of the ground and that it could have gone through my leg (luckily it didn't). We met up with Dad, Mama G, and Hilo and grabbed a late lunch.
That night Emily and I went out with some friends of mine and Brian came home from New Bern. Thursday we had rented dirt bikes and ATVs in South Carolina and went riding at Carolina Adventure World.
We weren't allowed to take the dirt bikes on the motocross track (I did last time) but the trails were plenty fun. Brian and I found little jumps that were still fun.
Me
Brian
They have some pretty awesome stuff there and it is huge (over 100 miles of trails) with a motocross track, dirt drag strip, dirt oval, and mud bogs. Brian and I really like the dirt track which was pretty sketchy.
Brian
Look closely at Brian getting squirrely and you know why I said this was sketchy
Me
Dad gettin' it in the ruts
Dad crossing the creek
Brian chose to go a little faster
The weather was perfect as it poured, no wait, monsooned on us we we went there in July and we had all sorts of problems with the bikes. This time everything went perfectly. Man I love dirtbikes...
That night Emily, Brian, and I met up with some friends at Fox and Hound and introduced Emily to bar trivia. She enjoyed it but had trouble learning that you don't blurt out the answers.
The next morning the five of us drove up to Damascus, VA to ride bikes down the Virginia Creeper Trail. It's 35 miles from Abingdon, VA through Damascus down to Whitetop, VA near the NC state line. It used to be a rail bed for trains but has been converted for recreational use. It's a beautiful trail that is almost entirely a gentle downhill slope. We decided to do the upper half and loaded up in the vans that took us to the top.
At Green Cove near the top
Typical views along the trail
Myself, Emily, Brian, Dad, and Mama G
Mama G and Emily. This was a tough picture to take while riding...
There were tons of old bridges with beautiful views
Dad and Mama G
Emily and I at a small waterfall
Tried to get everyone riding at the same time...
The end of the trail (for us)
By the time we got back to Mooresville Emily's sister, Sarah, was waiting on us. I would have liked to taken them out to see how awesome the Mooresville nightlife is but Brian and I had to get up early to jump out of an airplane...
We went to Carolina Skydiving which is based out of Jonesville, NC (about 45 north of Mooresville). We were the first jumpers of the day at 0800hrs. It was about 50 degrees Fahrenheit that morning and we were worried it be even more chilly at 10,000 feet. We paid our money, signed the extensive liability waivers, watched a video with some guy with an Amish beard talking about skydiving and headed over to receive our instruction.
In the US Army Airborne School, there are two full weeks of instruction before you exit an aircraft at altitude. Here, the instruction was all of two minutes. It consisted of the free fall body position, how to properly exit the aircraft, and how to land.
Brian and this girl who was a freshman at Wake Forest
Perfect form
Suiting up. Notice that one of the guys was wearing an EMS jacket...
Yet another encouraging sign...
Brian's tandem instructor Andy
And mine, Reed
Another comforting sight was the pilot walking past Brian and I, grabbing a chute, rigging himself up, and then heading back to the plane. Not sure why the pilot needed a chute...so off we went
The runway/drop zone
It was a slow climb (about 20 minutes up) before the pilot slowed the engines and popped open the door. I was first and Reed told me to place my right foot on a platform on top of the wheel which was pretty difficult at this speed. Luckily for us the weather was warmer at 10,000 feet than it was on the ground. Anyways, with a slight rock forward and back we jumped out and tracked away from the plane. I wanted to do a gainer out of the plane but the door was too small and the chute system we used had the small parachute that prevented us from doing flips (which would have been difficult tandem). I loved it though. It was a lot more fun and a lot less violent than jumping out of a plane at 1200 feet from a static line. Once under canopy he let me steer which was a lot easier than the T-10D the Army uses. You can do some pretty serious downward spirals with those things. The plane we jumped out of landed long before we did which I didn't expect.
Me under canopy
Once we hit about 500 feet the temperature dropped like you had walked into a refrigerator. We set up for the landing and we lifted our legs as we were coming in on our fourth point of contact (butts). You come in pretty fast on these landings but its a horizontal velocity, not vertical. Reed flared, or stalled, the chute and we were back on mother earth.
Brian coming in for the landing
Packing up the chutes
Feeling pretty awesome
We hurried home because the rest of the day was reserved for the lake. We first went out on Don's boat because he had bought a 9'2" surfboard to wakesurf behind his 30' Sea Ray. By the way, Hilo is not a fan of any type of water sports in which he cannot directly participate.
Me
Brian
This was the girls first time trying anything like this and they both came really close to standing up. Unfortunately we didn't have the camera rolling on all of their attempts to catch the good ones.
Sarah
Emily
After the wakesurfing, we hopped on Dad's boat, Gail Force, and drove over to the Rusty Rudder to have lunch. Emily made a comment that she wishes we would've had a motorboat the whole time instead of a sailboat in the Outer Banks, but I know (hope) she was kidding.
That night we had some people over for a party on B-N-E Beach with corn hole, college football, and a campfire with s'mores. It was fun and good to see a bunch of my friends.
On Sunday, I brought Emily and Sarah with me and Mama G to the Cove Church. We decided not to get tickets to the Panther's game like I had wanted. Good thing, because they got whooped 23-6 (the game was a lot worse than the score depicts).
Most everyone napped through the game, which again was not a bad idea. That evening we went to Old Town Theater in Davidson to watch Social Network. Monday morning Sarah left early to return to UVA and I exchanged farewells with Emily and Hilo. Dad got home from work around 1300hrs and we headed to the airport. Mama G got gate passes for her and Dad and they waited for my flight with me which was nice. This time I kept my window seat and hopped on the train when I got into Frankfurt. I sure had a great time at home, as always, and have only my great parents to thank for making a trip home like this possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment