06 March 2023

Canary Cruise

25 February 2023

We all stayed at the Moxy near the Frankfurt Airport for the early morning direct flight to Las Palmas Gran Canaria. I joined most of the group with a modest upgrade to business class for a more enjoyable flight. Upon arriving around noon, I split off from the group to pickup a Ducati Scrambler motorcycle I rented for our weekend on the island before departing on the cruise Sunday night. I then took a wonderful afternoon ride up the green northern side of the mountains which were admittedly a little cold at elevation and my middle fingers were white by the time I arrived near the summit.
Hoose

I stopped for a late lunch at Restaurante La Cilla in the town of Artenara. It was a cool little restaurant built in a cave on the side of a mountain cliff.
Hoose

After lunch I drove through slightly drier pine forests towards the western side of the island.
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

I then reached the Mirador del Balcón on the northeast coast and would have loved to stay until sunset but did not want to ride the bike after dark. Besides, my friends were waiting for me in Las Palmas!
Hoose
Hoose

Back in the city, the nightly Carnivale parade was underway and I had a difficult time finding parking as our hotel and the surrounding area was along the parade route. Finally, I met up with Matt, Britt, and their old friend Drew.

Hoose

26 February 2023

The next morning was an early one for me as I had to ride on the boring coastal highway to the opposite southwestern side of the island for some scuba dives I had booked. The Scuba Sur dive shop had forgotten I was scheduled for the day but after calling a boat skipper and a modest wait we were off and diving. It wasn't that great of a dive but was an overdue refresher I needed after not diving since before the pandemic. We dove the Arguineguin Reef at only about 15 meters but were down there for nearly an hour since the depth was so shallow. I was pretty cold during and after the dive despite the 7mm wetsuit. We saw some bull and black rays, moray eels, and a school of barracuda. I unfortunately could not find my GoPro so I do not have any diving pictures from this trip. I do, however, have more pictures of the pretty Ducati in the harbor.
Hoose

I opted out of a second dive that would have really made the diving an all day excursion and forced me to take the coastal highway back to Las Palmas. Instead, I headed to Puerto de Mogán, a coastal town known for its white buildings with colorful accents.
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

Then it was back up the mountains!
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

There was one valley that looked like it had cherry blossums but I am admittedly not a botanist. It still made for beautiful scenery despite my lack of knowledge.
Hoose

After turning the bike in I was the last of our crew to board the Mein Schiff 4, our home for the next week. Nobody waited for me to start having fun on the boat.
Hoose

As we did most evenings, we all ate dinner together despite going on our own adventures during the day. I could tell right away I was not going to like Drew after just meeting him. I cannot stand it when people ruin pictures with stupid face.
Hoose

Much better
Hoose

On a cruise with over two thousand Germans, we were the only eight (nine if you include the Lithuanian Andrej) Americans on the ship. The Germans loved watching the ship sail out of each port to the playing of the Tui anthem. We got in the spirit the first night but avoided this tradition on subsequent evenings.
Hoose
Hoose

27 February 2023

The first day was a sea day as we sailed north to the Portuguese island of Madeira. I had quite a productive day starting with a massage, then played basketball, went to the gym, and played volleyball before joining the crew for drinks by the pool.
Hoose

The lunch buffet had plenty of food options and this poor guy who was bound to become someone's snack.
Hoose

Post lunch pool time with these handsome boys
Hoose

The best way to end a sea day was in the hot tub with friends! No drinks in the hot tub! Das ist verboten!
Hoose

28 February 2023

The next morning Drew and I went scuba diving while the rest of the crew either hiked some of the mountains or cruised Madeira by car. We were hoping to do the Alfonso Wreck but the conditions were not ideal so instead we dove the Garajau Reef. This dive was twice as deep as my previous one at 30 meters and aside from moray eels and more barracuda the only notable sigthings were a couple of grouper which we were able to get so close to we could touch. The swim from the jetty to the boat was a bit treacherous with waves swelling into the small cove. It reminded me of cliff diving through the "blow hole" in Hawaii where you had to time your jump so the swell took you out to sea instead of sending you into the rocks.
Hoose

Drew and I opted out of a second dive and instead rented a Fiat 595 Abarth after much searching during the afternoon sesta (nap) where all businesses shut down. The car was super fun to drive through the mountains once we figured out how to turn on the sport setting with the exquisite exhaust note. The hike we missed out on.
Hoose

They apparently discovered some of Madeira's finest art
Hoose

We drove through the center of the island to meet up with everyone for lunch at Praia do Porto do Seixal on the north side of the island. I felt safe since this place had security.
Hoose


We then drove up to Lagoa do Fanal (Fanal Pond) which Paul had been to previously and looked cool when under fog but we arrived in the mid-afternoon with only sunshine (not complaining). It was still beautiful nonetheless though the cows did not seem happy with our presence.
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

We then drove west along the mountain ridgelines and above the clouds to the Miradouro do Farol da Ponta do Pargo which had a small restaurant and lighthouse overlooking the western cliffs. We shared a beautiful sunset together.
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

It is tough traveling with Instagram models
Hoose
Hoose

And finally sunset
Hoose
Hoose

After returning to the port at Funchal, we briefly checked out the hotel dedicated to footballer Christiano Ronaldo who comes from the island. I also saw this crazy motorcycle adorned with all kinds of trinkets and took an obligatory photo of the Mein Schiff 4.
Hoose
Hoose

01 March 2023

The next morning, Drew, Britt, and I drove off for a hike on the eastern part of the island. It was beautiful scenery overlooking sea cliffs.
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

A couple of pro hikers!
Hoose
Hoose
Hoose

Our fun little whip on Madeira, a Fiat 595 Abarth
Hoose

After turning the car in it was back to the ship.
Hoose

I had not noticed it before, but among the various murals on the port's wall was one from a previous visit of our ship.
Hoose

The housekeeping staff was great and made little animals and other decorations out of our fresh laundry.
Hoose

We set off in the early afternoon for another sea day back to the Canary Islands. The Germans who did not leave the boat that day took all of the good spots for their favorite part of the cruise (leaving ports). We attempted to find a place to chill but we quite literally chilled in the building sea breeze as we steamed south.
Hoose

Warming up by the pool that was largely shielded from the wind
Hoose

Finally we gave in and sought refuge in the hot tub.
Hoose

Enjoying dinner with Rob and Deb
Hoose

02 March 2023

The next port was Santa Cruz de La Palma, not to be confused with Las Palmas, the capital of Gran Canaria to the east. We rented a van for everyone and drove up and over the mountains to the black sand beach of Playa de Tazacorte on the western side of the island. This was definitely one of the more easygoing days but it was nice to relax and enjoy some lunch at the beachfront restaurants. We probably should have brought towels with us because they cost nearly 20 euros in this little town!
Hoose
Hoose


Babes on black sand...and Britt and Deb.
Hoose

Drew and I stole Matt's phone while he was in the bathroom. I am sure he appreciated having two handsome men as his phone's wallpaper.
Hoose

Now that we were heading east, we got to watch the sunset over the island which was a nice treat that almost made up for the ship's rediculous schedule that had us back on board so early in the day.
Hoose

Because the ship required us to return so early, we became regulars not only at the various dinner establishments, but also at the ship's only nightclub. Needless to say if there was a rug on the dance floor, it would have been shredded.
Hoose
Hoose

03 March 2023

Next up was Tenerife, the only island I had visted previously. As usual, all my plans for kitesurfing/motorbikes/etc. fell through so I joined Matt, Drew, and Craig for a ride up the mountains while the rest of the crew hit the beach on the far side of the island. For whatever reason, the ports were always the furthest one could be from the popular beaches and tourist areas. We rented an Alfa Romeo SUV that Craig was not impressed with...it was pretty though.
Hoose

Pico del Teide (Mount Teide) is the highest mountain in all of Spain, including the Pyranees! We wanted to hike to the top but of course you had to register for one of the limited passes to do that months in advance. Even the gondola that took people to the top was slammed with tourists. Instead we just took a quick hike around the area before joining the rest of the crew at the beach. There were several movie crews in the area that were apparently filming for Lord of the Rings or some other Sci-Fi things I know nothing about.
Hoose

Lunch in Costa Adeje. When I was here in 2012, we stayed in Playa de las Américas just to the south.
Hoose

04 March 2023

The last stop on the cruise was Fuerteventura, a flat desert island so much different than the others. This island is known for its kitesurfing but of course the day we arrived there was no wind so it turned into another beach day. Dunes of northeastern Fuerteventura where the kitesurfing would have taken place.
Hoose
Hoose

The little town of Corralejo was cool and funky and had a Carnivale 5k underway when we arrived. All of the runners dressed up in crazy outfits per usual but ran what must have been 100 laps around a very short course in the small town.


An artist made this cool sand sculpture which reminded me of Virginia Beach.
Hoose

My bronze was finally setting in so the creepers snuck unauthorized pics.
Hoose


Since I could not kitesurf due to weather and could not surf due to my shoulder, I figured I would try something new and gave e-foiling a shot. I only had an hour thanks again to the ship's dumb schedule, but by the end of the hour and after dozens of falls I started to get the hang of it.
Hoose


Last dinner with beautiful people
Hoose
Hoose

Who knew there was this scooter on the boat the whole time that I could have used for shore adventures!
Hoose

Last night out with the boys (Rob and Andrej not pictured)
Hoose

Found them with some random chick
Hoose

Okay I'll include just one short video as evidence for the hours I spent on the dance floor. Paul was kind enough to join me.


05 March 2023

Everyone else flew out on Sunday but since I stuck with my original schedule and took the opportunity to spend another full day on Gran Canaria. I was unable to rent a motorcycle again without notice since it was Sunday but I still rented another Fiat 500 (slow version) and toured the island once again. It was a beautiful and peaceful day except for the Carnivale fireworks at night. It was difficult to tell from my hotel, but it looked like a small boat had caught fire...probably not though.


06 March 2023

I caught a flight home to Frankfurt before boarding the train back to Stuttgart. It was definitely a great time with wonderful people in several beautiful places.

No comments:

Post a Comment