01 March 2012

Canary Islands


The main reason for going to the Canary Islands was to get to some warm weather after spending the last two four days on ski trips. We didn't know much about it and kind of winged the whole thing. I had read that Tenerife was the island to to to so we were on our way.

We rented a car and decided to take a trip around the island thinking it would be beautiful and I wanted to check out paragliding on the northern coast. It was too windy which will be a theme throughout the trip...

While the scenery was nice, the roads were really twisty and not pleasant for the passengers. We did the outer ring which took almost all day.
Hoose

You can never overestimate how much better it feels to be in the presence of palm trees
Hoose

I don't remember the order of things but we did try to go kite boarding at some point but it was again too windy. Ed and I did some beach lessons which were quite expensive and probably not worth it. We did it with the hopes that the wind would die down at some point and we could get in the water.
Hoose
Hoose

We did head down the beach after the lessons and had a nice lunch by the water.
Hoose

I know Sara was enjoying my company
Hoose

We also gave surfing a shot, but Ed was the only one who caught any waves. I just paddled around and pretended like I had done it before. Oh well, not every day is perfect.
Hoose

On St. Patty's Day, Ed and I woke up early and caught a flight over to the island of Fuerteventura to do some dirt bike riding. Ed didn't have a license and had a hard time lying to the guy when he asked him about it. It was no problem though, this guy ran his business out of his house which was right on the ocean in a  very secluded spot. I have footage of the riding which if I get really bored I will pick through and throw something together. I did capture Ed's crash which is almost worth the effort in itself.
Hoose

Ed looped out at one point and cracked a case on his bike
Hoose

No worries though, because "Suzuki Tape" does the trick!
Hoose

While we messed around on the dirt bikes, the girls did some sightseeing and relaxing in Playas de las Americas
Hoose
Hoose

There certainly wasn't a lack of color in the houses Hoose

And also got one of the best bombs I've ever seen...
Hoose

St. Patty's night was so much fun. We went out for dinner, and every restaurant in Tenerife, or at least Playas de las Americas, is exactly the same with the menu in at least five languages: English, Spanish, French, German, and Russian. Natalie and Ed called it an early night but Sara and I went out until 0600 in the morning and had a blast. At one point, we even hopped a fence trying to get back from the beach to the hostel and set off the alarm at a restaurant that was closed. Again, fun.

We also did some go kart racing because it had become a weekly tradition back in Schweinfurt. Only this track was outdoors and much larger with faster karts. There were some shifter karts and super moto bikes there and I was a bit jealous. I took some GoPro and again if I get really bored I'll go through the footage and see if there is anything. Nevertheless I think it goes without saying who won...
Hoose
Hoose

The last morning we had a great English-style breakfast and I found the travel companion I had been looking for all along
Hoose
Hoose

When we got to the airport, our flight was delayed. Everyone was pretty upset about it...
Hoose

...except me!
Hoose

No comments:

Post a Comment